Full-time, Permanent | Ottawa, ON
President and CEO of Forest Products Association of Canada (FPAC) and the President and CEO of the Canadian Wood Council (CWC) (“the Presidents”).
FPAC provides a voice for Canada’s wood, pulp, paper, and wood-based bio-products producers nationally and internationally in government, trade, and environmental affairs. As an industry with annual revenues exceeding $75B, Canada’s forest products sector is one of the country’s largest employers operating in over 600 communities, providing 225,000 direct jobs, and over 600,000 indirect jobs across the country. You can learn more about us and our work at www.fpac.ca.
CWC represents the Canadian wood products industry through a national alliance of leading industry associations. CWC’s mission is to expand market access and increase demand for Canadian wood products through codes, standards, regulations, education and promotion. You can learn more about us and our work at www.cwc.ca.
We have a great opportunity for a financial and business leader to join our teams.
We are currently looking for a VP Finance and Administration to manage and lead operational accounting, audit, financial reporting, budgeting, human resources, and office operations for two national associations.
As a member of the FPAC and CWC management teams, the VP Finance and Administration is a trusted advisor to the Presidents of both organizations assisting in the delivery of strategic priorities and organizational activities. The VP Finance and Administration will oversee all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for both organizations, in conjunction with the Boards of Directors and audit committees.
As VP Finance and Administration, the incumbent would be responsible for the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance & Accounting
- Leads the development of the two annual operating budgets ($17 million combined) and ensures compliance with operating budgets by monitoring results and by providing timely communication to managers, the leadership teams, and Board Committees.
- Provides insightful and proactive analysis to the Presidents and Board Committees which includes communicating with those key stakeholders at regular intervals (e.g., preparing written reports, agendas and presentations, and presenting at Board and Committee meetings).
- Engages with members and funders on strategic financial matters
- Ensures compliance with Canada Revenue Agency reporting requirements for not-for-profit organizations of both CWC and FPAC.
- Oversees and supports the full range of financial, accounting, and procurement functions including reporting and analysis, accounting services, budget planning, management of reserves, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, inventory management, and compliance with commodity and payroll tax requirements for both organizations
- Supervises and mentors accounting personnel (4 employees).
- Oversees the administration of human resources functions, including recruitment, staff development, and compensation and benefits for approximately fifty employees (currently 30 CWC, 20 FPAC).
Risk Management and Governance
- Develops and maintains the organizations’ operating policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains succession planning and risk management plans.
- Develops and maintains internal controls to safeguard financial and corporate assets.
- Serves as chief resource for the audit committees, preparing regular reports to the Committees on financial and risk management projects and related matters.
- Maintains and updates not-for-profit status and corporate by-laws.
- Ensures compliance with agreements with governments and other funding agencies; ensuring that all required reports are complete and accurate, and delivered in a timely manner. Collaborates with project leaders to ensure that all key terms have been adhered to.
- Responsible for meeting all regulatory reporting deadlines and managing the annual auditing process of financial statements.
- Contributes to the overall direction of FPAC and CWC by providing strategic leadership and functions as an informed and effective member of both management teams.
Qualifications and Assets
- Professional accountant.
- Proven experience as senior financial leader or relevant role.
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit sector and associations.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills; effectively connecting with individuals across all levels of an organization.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and Sage 300c software.
- Ability to strategize and solve problems.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment and juggle competing demands.
- Bilingual (French/English) would be an asset.
Interested in Applying?
At FPAC and CWC we are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We celebrate it within our teams and believe that our different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger. With every person we hire, we aim to add to a culture where everyone is valued and all employees can grow in our team-oriented organizations.
Interested candidates should apply in confidence to email@example.com by March 18, 2022.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but only those under consideration will be contacted.