- Environmental Leadership
- In the Boreal
- Cleaner and Greener
- Sustainable Forest Management
- Building Green
CANADIAN MILLS ARE CLEANER + GREENER
The Canadian forest products industry is also a major manufacturing sector responsible for 12% of Canada’s manufacturing GDP. Forest facilities have steadily and dramatically become cleaner with new focus and ambition to reduce their environmental footprint.
- The sector has made dramatic progress in reducing air and water pollutants.
- Air pollutants are down 52% and water pollutants are down 70% since 2005.
- The industry has eliminated toxins such as PCBs and dioxins.
- The industry has also eliminated the use of coal and cut oil use by more than 90% since 2000.
- Canada recycles almost 70% of its paper and cardboard, making Canada among the top paper recycling countries in the world.
- Waste has been reduced by 30% since 2005.